Just two council tenants moved out of homes in the shadow of Grenfell Tower are in permanent accommodation.
Housing secretary, James Brokenshire, has confirmed that of tenants “unable to remain” in homes at Barandon Walk, Testerton Walk, Hurstway Walk, Treadgold House and Bramley House, 11 are living in hotels, three are living in serviced apartments and 74 are currently in temporary accommodation.
In a written answer to a Parliamentary question, Brokenshire said two households have moved to new permanent accommodation.
Under the Wider Grenfell Rehousing Policy, tenants from the blocks referenced in the question who do not feel able to remain in their homes are eligible to be permanently rehoused.
The MHCLG was challenged on how many of the households from the referenced blocks required rehousing; and how many of those households have been rehoused in either emergency temporary or permanent accommodation.
In confirming the numbers, Brokenshire cited identification issues with individual households for not publically providing the location of these households based on which part of the estate they originally lived in.
Earlier this year, the government conceded that nearly 100 households from the blocks of flats at the foot of Grenfell Tower are still in emergency and temporary accommodation nine months on from the disaster.
Less than a third of the total number who lost their homes have moved into new permanent accommodation – with the government admitting it was ‘unlikely’ all of them would be rehoused within a year of the disaster.
Dominic Raab, then housing minister, told MPs that 95 families who were living in the buildings Barandon Walk, Hurstway Walk and Testerton Walk – near to Grenfell Tower – had not returned.
The figures Raab was working to showed 32 households living in emergency accommodation such as hotels and the remaining 63 in temporary homes with none permanently rehoused.
Again, the government offered no information in respect of people from two other nearby blocks for fear of identifying individual households.
Faced at the time with up to 204 households from Grenfell tower and its environs needing somewhere to live, former housing secretary Sajid Javid, admitted it was “unlikely” all affected households would be in new permanent homes by the one-year anniversary on June 14.